Thursday, November 17, 2011

Scuba!

The second day in Cabo.  I’m going to let Brian describe our next experience, and his personal favorite, in his own words.  
“First off, we had to be at the Wavebands lounge at 6:45 am.  So we missed breakfast and fireworks and dessert the night before. 
I was worried that I wouldn’t do very well at scuba diving.  I was also worried that we’d have some sexy Mexican hunk with his hands all over Marci or that it would be some el cheapo scary boat or bad equipment.  Boy was I wrong!  We went into a modern facility where we got first rate wet suits and scuba gear.  



Our instructors looked more European than Mexican.  Our instructor, Roberto, reminded me of an old friend and he actually enjoyed talking to me.  We got on a boat that could have held a lot of people, but there were only 8 of us.  As we were going to our dive sight, we learned the basics about breathing, hand signals, how to clear our regulators if they came out of our mouths, and clear our masks.  To get into the water, we just stepped off the back of the boat, and as we were bobbing around, we got more familiar with our gear.  Next we went down twelve feet and practiced some more.  


The other couple was having problems with their ears which slowed us down.  Marci and I did really well and then we went down to forty two or forty three feet and enjoyed seeing the fish and wild life.  It was stunning and surreal to be so deep for so long.  


Marci forgot and held her breath for a second on the way back and that made her feel kind of sick.  
Marci:  That's why I look a bit green around the gills in this pict!


Back to Brian:  "I felt great and did the best of anyone in my group which was cool.  I think my military training helped me do well.  I think it is one of the coolest things I have ever done.  It’s funny that the thing I was most reluctant and nervous to do and most concerned about was the one I enjoyed the most.  My second was the snorkeling which I also thought might not go well, but went great.  


Once we were back, the building also had a large aquarium tank for their dolphin encounter adventure.   We got to see a dolphin through the glass on the lower level.  Afterwards, why I don’t know, but Marci wanted to go to the mall so we walked to the mall which was like a very fancy mall in the US, and it was okay, but the walk back was a little bit long especially since I hadn’t eaten lunch or breakfast and was ready to do both.  We were kind of wimps and didn’t eat in Mexico.  I joked that we ate in the best restaurant in Cabo which was the beach blanket café back on ship.”  




Thank you very much, Brian.  Now back to me, Marci.  I just wanted to say that the dolphin came right down to our eye level and looked at us as if to say, “hi.”  I wanted to got to the mall because I was desperate to find something to buy form Matt.  As soon as we got there, though, I realized that Brian was right and there would be nothing there that Matt would want.  I didn’t want to buy Matt some useless thing when he needs so much.  I told Brian how I felt, and he suggested that he would appreciate money more than anything, so we decided that Matt’s gift would be a deposit into his account when we get home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment