Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Turning Points

On BYUTV, a show called "Turning Point" examines the turning points in the lives of individuals; the defining moments that shape their lives

Here are a few of my turning points.

Turning point 1, Primary Songs:
As a little girl in primary, three of the songs that we used to sing especially inspired me.  I know now that the feelings I had were from the Holy Ghost, working in me.  As you click on the links and hear the songs, cannot you feel it, too?

Dare to Do Right
Dare to do right; Dare to be true.
You have a work that no other can do.
Do it so bravely, so kindly, so well,
Angels will hasten the story to tell.

Dare to do right; Dare to be true.
Other men's failures can never save you.
Stand by your conscience, your honor, your faith,
Stand like a hero and battle till death.

Dare, dare, dare to do right.
Dare, dare, dare to be true.
Dare to be true.  Dare to be true.

Stand for the Right,
Our Prophet has some words for you,
And these are the words, "Be true. be true."
At work or at play, in darkness or light,
Be true, be true and stand for the right.

 Keep the Commandments
Keep the commandments, keep the commandments.
In this there is safety; in this there is peace.
He will send blessings, He will send blessings.
Words of a prophet, "Keep the commandments.
In this there is safety and peace."

These songs deeply stirred my soul and hearing them prompted me to commit in my heart to always stay true to Jesus Christ and His prophet.

Turning Point Two, Hold to the Rod:
When I was 14 years old I began attending The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' seminary.  I attended all through high school.  One year we studied the Old Testament, another year the New Testament, and another year the Doctrine and Covenants, but that first year I attended, we studied the Book of Mormon.  Early in the year we read and learned about the prophet Lehi and his vision of the tree of life.  In his vision, the tree of life represented Eternal Life, the privilege of living with God and our families forever.  Lehi dreamed that he ate the fruit of that tree and it filled him with happiness.  Some of his family came to the tree and ate the fruit, and some would not.  Lehi also saw others making their way along the strait and narrow path that lead to the tree of life.  Then there arose a mist of darkness that covered the path and many were overcome by the darkness and were lost.  Others succumbed to the mocking cries and pointing fingers of people calling from a great building that represented the pride of the world.
But an iron rod went along the path and some clung to this rod with all their might.  By doing so, they were able to keep to the path, even through temptation and mockery, and pressed forward till they reached the tree and ate it's fruit.  Lehi's son, Nephi, gave the interpretation of the vision.  He tells us that the mists of darkness are the temptations of Satan, and that the iron rod is the word of God.  Nephi tells us that if we will hold fast to the word of God, we will overcome the temptations of the devil and eventually gain Eternal Life.
When I heard this story, I realized that what I want, more than anything else, is to reach Eternal Life and partake of it's fruits of joy and love.  I thought to myself, "Read the Book of Mormon every day?  I can do that!"  I determined then to read the word of God daily in order to overcome darkness and gain eternal life.  Since that time I've tried diligently to keep this commitment.  I firmly feel that reading from the Book of Mormon every day as a teenager kept me on the right path even through the lonliest days of my adolescence.

Turning Point #3:  Praying about the Book of Mormon.
At the end of the Book of Mormon, the prophet Moroni makes us a promise:  "And when you shall receive these things, I would exhort you to ask God, the Eternal Father in the name of Christ if these things are not true.  And if ye ask in faith with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."
As I read from the Book of Mormon daily throughout my teenage years, I would feel the Holy Ghost would quietly testify to me that the words I was reading were true.  However, though I prayed each time I came to the end of the Book of Mormon, to have a special manifestation from the Holy Ghost of the book's truthfulness, the manifestation didn't come.  This didn't weaken my faith, and I waited for the day when Moroni's promise would be fulfilled in my life. It was in springtime in 1989 when I was living back at my parents house while Brian was in basic training in the army, that I received my answer.  I was a young mother, Cassandra my oldest was a year old, and it was a fast Sunday.  Once a month we members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints fast (abstain from food and drink) and pray for 24 hours.  I find that when I fast, I have the Holy Ghost with me more abundantly on the day of my fast as well as throughout the month.  Fasting helps me to forget myself and focus on Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ.  On this particular fast Sunday, and I am convinced that it was no accident, I finished reading the Book of Mormon just as I neared the end of my fast.  I was alone in my room, and as always at the end of reading the book, I knelt to pray and asked my Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ if the words I had been reading all these years were true.  Then the Holy Ghost entered into me more strongly than I have felt before or since and filled me with such joy that it seemed to physically lift my heart in my breast.  One word, "Yes!" filled my soul.  I knew then as I had never known before that the Book of Mormon is true.  This experience cemented my faith so that I can say with conviction that I know that Jesus, of whom the Book of Mormon is a witness, is the Christ.  I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints is the fullness of His gospel restored to the earth through Joseph Smith.   I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet called by God to lead and guide this church.  I know that because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for me and for all mankind, I will gain the Eternal Life I seek if keep the commandments, repent when I sin, and remain true to my Savior, His church, His prophets, and my covenants.  This is my testimony and I give it in the name of the Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.
P. S. I still read the Book of Mormon daily!

1 comment: