Sunday, October 2, 2011

Charity Defined

After hearing Elder Scott's conference talk on reading the scriptures yesterday, I wanted to study Moroni chapter 7 verse 5 in the Book of Mormon that defines charity.
Wow, it sure encompasses a lot of things!  It is very telling to read through each aspect of charity and evaluate my life to see where I need to improve.  I wrote down what I think each characteristic of charity means.
For "and charity suffereth long" I put the following:
Is patient--  I'm not real good at this, especially yesterday when I let my kids dip candles and they got wax on 7 dishes.  I got pretty upset, but whose fault is it really--the kids who were doing what I told them they could do, or the mom who forgot to tell them that wax doesn't wash off with soap and water???  AND who didn't supervise the candle-ing!
Waits upon the Lord  I love the scripture in Isaiah chapter 40 verse 31 that says the following:
 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; theyshall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
How am I doing on that one?  Well, life gets so hard that waiting on the Lord is pretty much how I even survive.  Still, sometimes I forget and then I'm pretty miserable.
Bears criticizm  Not so good at this one, ask Brian!
Turns the other cheek  Like when Miriam dripped dish water on my head yesterday, did I let her do it again?  Did I refrain from chasing her around the house and from wrenching the drippy thingy from her hands and dripping it on her own head?  Um...of course....not.

Any way, that's just for "suffereth long".  I did that for all of the aspects of charity.
I don't think I came out so well, but I am still trying!

1 comment: