Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Washing the Dishes

It all started Sunday when Brian asked his Sunday school class if they have ever done something that was hard to do, but that was worth it.  One of the kids mentioned how much they hate washing a mountain of dishes, but how good they feel when it's done.  That answer got me thinking about what my kids are missing, not having dishes to wash.  Growing up, our dish washing sink was the venue for our silliest sibling moments and some of our most epic fights.  I mourned for my kids who are missing all of that!

Well, it just so happens that awhile ago, our dishwasher broke.  Brian bought a new one and started to put it in last night, but the dumb thing required a certain part that was not included with the dishwasher.  How ridiculous is that?  Anyway, he couldn't get a part right then because Home Depot was closed.  Blah blah blah.  The point is, that this morning we had, "TA DA."  a big pile of dishes; the perfect opportunity to put my kids to work.  

Matt washed, I rinsed, and Katrina and Thomas dried and put away.  Although Matt wasn't impressed, I thought it was a joy to witness Katrina and Thomas arguing good naturedly and snapping at each other with damp towels.  When all the dishes were done, only two had been broken, and no one had sustained any injuries.  We cleaned up the rest of the kitchen and then Katrina and Thomas headed outside together.  Outside.  Together.  We're talking teenagers, here.  I had witnessed a miracle whose vehicle was a broken dishwasher.  You know, Brian's having a hard time putting in that new dishwasher.  Maybe I should tell him to forget it...

1 comment:

  1. There is something very satisfying about doing dishes by hand. Of course, it's always nice to have a dishwasher to fall back on when things get rough. And things are usually rough around my house :).

    ReplyDelete