Sunday, February 23, 2014

Feb 17--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,

Hi!  I hope you liked your Valentine from me.  How are you doing?  Are you still in a trio?  How is that going?  Thanks for writing a little to us last week even though you couldn’t write much.  It was still nice to hear from you and know that you are okay.

This has been a good week.  Monday after work, Dad and I drove in the washing machine together as planned.  It was nice to be together and visit.  After dinner we went to the play at the high school for family home evening because Katrina had to be an usher before the play.  The play was “Emma” and the students did a good job—we really enjoyed it. 

Tuesday I grocery shopped and we had asparagus soup and muffins for dinner.  Besides that I can’t really remember what we did.  It must not have been all that spectacular.  Wednesday Katrina and I dropped Thomas off at gymnastics and then went to parent teacher conference.  It took us an hour to see all their teachers, then we had to go pick up Thomas, and then we went back to talk to their seminary teachers.  I had been coming down with a cold, and by the time it was all over, I was very sick.  By the time we got home from all of that, Dad was home.  He had me go to “bed,” or should I say “couch” and Katrina made tacos for the family for dinner which was real nice of her.  I felt awful. 

Thursday I was supposed to give blood, but I was still sick, so I didn’t go.  They called me to see where I was.  They like my blood.  Last time I went to give blood, they sent me home because I was anemic, and then the next week they called and begged me to eat spinach, drink o.j. and try again.  Too bad it didn’t work out the second time.  I spent the evening on the couch again and Dad and the kids brought dinner home from Wendy’s.   While I sat on the couch I made paper lace gift bags and cards to give for Valentine’s Day.

Friday was awesome!!!  My co workers loved their Valentine’s goodies, and I had so much fun passing out Valentines to my students.  By the time school was over, I was laden down with cookies and chocolate from the students, the rest of the stuff, like the donuts, I turned down or gave away.  I was supposed to pick up Thomas and Katrina from school and then hurry to meet Miriam and Dad at Miriam’s work, and go to see Les Miserables from there.  But when I got to the car, Jon called, and I was very excited because I had Valentine’s stuff for him and thought I was going to have to drop it off at his house without ever seeing him, but he said he was at the house, and so I said I’d come home to see him.  I picked up the kids and then went home.  It was so nice to see Jon and give him a hug because I haven’t seen him since my birthday.  He surprised me with chocolate covered strawberries from Costco which were so delicious and fun to eat, especially because I had been surrounded by sugar all day and had not eaten any of it.  It was very fun to give Jon his Valentine’s stuff and visit with him while we scarfed the gifts we’d given to each other.  Miriam met us at home instead, and I gave her and the other kids their Valentines, too, and then Dad came home and I gave him his Valentines, and it was so fun, especially visiting with Jon.  For Valentine’s I made everyone a special card and gave them chocolate.  I also gave the girls roses, Thomas and Jon balloons, and Dad filet mignon.  

After Jon left, we loaded up and headed for Les Miserables which was Dad’s Valentine’s gift to us all.  Matt, I cannot begin to describe how amazing it was.  It was so wonderful.  The cast was amazing, the singing was beautiful, and the staging was perfect, the performance was family-friendly.  We loved every bit of it.  During intermission, we got a call from Cassandra.  They called to thank me for the Valentines, and I was so happy they’d gotten them on Friday, because I didn’t end up sending them till Wednesday.  I had made a card for Cassandra and Emerson and also a card for Lily with a little girl in a pretty dress on the front, and inside I enclosed four more cut-outs of girls in different pretty dresses.  Plus, Dad had a necklace for Lily, so I put it on a heart for her to find inside as well.  She loved it all, and it was so fun to talk to her about it and to tell her and her parents “Happy Valentine’s Day.”  I’m so glad they liked the cards it was a wonderful, wonderful day.

For all of that, Saturday was even more wonderful, Matt, because that morning during scripture study, I saw my way so clearly and knew that I needed to rely on the Lord all day to direct my actions.  The whole day, I tried to ask myself what Jesus would do, I prayed and sought the guidance of the Holy Spirit at every turn, and the day was amazing.  I talked to loved ones, visited a lonely friend, and other friends, too.  As I was visiting with one friend, I had a feeling of perfect peace come over me, and I knew without a doubt that I was doing at that moment exactly what Heavenly Father wanted me to do.  The day was so wonderful, every bit of it.

Today, I once again tried to seek the Lord’s will and guidance throughout the day.  After church I got to talk to more family members, Skype with Cassandra, Emerson and Lily, eat with the family, and do family history with Dad and the kids.  Now we are going to have family home evening on keeping the Sabbath day holy, a subject I’ve felt inspired to choose. 

Well, now my lesson is over, and I think it went well.  Most of us are sitting around the table eating milk and cookies.  It has been a wonderful day.  Oh!  Do you know what makes it even more wonderful???  There’s no work or school tomorrow because it’s president’s day.  How awesome is that? 

I love you, Matt.  Have a great day and a great week and remember how much we love you and are praying for you. 
Love,
Mom  

No comments:

Post a Comment