Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day Camp!

Yesterday was activity day Day Camp.  Activity Days is a program for girls aged 8-11 and is centered on increasing the girls' faith in God.  Because I am stake activity day leader (a stake is a group of church congregations belonging to the LDS faith), I am in charge of Day Camp.  This was my first year and I loved it!  I’ve gone to day camp many times as a parent or a leader, but never as one of the planners.  We hoped to have camp at a boy's camp up the canyon like they’ve had in year’s past, but this year, because of the weather, we held it in a church building. Although I think everyone missed being out in nature, having Day Camp in a building worked out just fine.  In a way, it was nice to have every one so close to each other –each age group rotating in a different corner of the building.  The classes were also a little longer because rotating time was so short which was nice, I think.  And the classes!  They were absolutely wonderful!  Like I said before, I’ve been to day camps before, but this year it seems like the teachers were especially creative and committed to teaching these girls in a fun, hands-on way.   Each girl went home with memories and mementos of interesting and inspiring classes on gospel subjects taught by people who love the girls and Heavenly Father.

At dinnertime, I was impressed with the bishopric members who came to eat with the girls in each of their wards.  They truly looked happy to be there and I know that the girls felt loved because these men took time to be with them.  Many of the bishopric members, maybe even all, stayed to watched the skits after dinner.  The skits were so fun!  Each skit highlighted a different gospel story, Daniel in the Lion’s den, Nephi and the brass plates, the pioneers, the stripling warriors, Noah’s the ark, Shadrach, Meshac, and Abednego.  One thing that I noticed is that many wards used music in their skits which was such a great idea.  Some wards used well-written skits; one ward used no words at all.  Every skit was unique and they each taught an inspiring and sometimes very funny lesson about faith.
 
Okay, yes.  I did have a part on the program.  Luckily for everyone, I was not alone.  The whole stake primary board danced.  Yep.  Pretty stupendous.  Especially considering that I have never really had to dance.  Ever.  In my entire life.  So there I was up there with the rest of them, wearing leg warmers over my jeans, waving pom poms, and being as silly as possible.  And It gets worse—we did it twice.  No kidding.  The first time we danced was at the beginning of the program, and I think our poor captive audience was in shock.  The second time, thankfully, they’d gotten used to the idea of strange old ladies making fools of themselves, and they cheered and sang along with us.  In the end, it was pretty  darn fun.  So that was Day Camp.  The theme was faith, the lesson was learned, and I, for one, absolutely loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment