Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Claims to fame

Today I'm posting a bit of personal history as I look back at my claims to fame.  They are very few and modest, but here goes:
Let's see, in Kindergarten I was in the green reading group and it didn't take long to figure out that the green reading group was the highest reading group in the class.

In first grade I drew a little girl bunny and a little boy bunny with cute bunny clothes on.  Mrs. Howell liked them so much that she made huge versions of them and I got to choose a couple of friends to help me color them.  Then they hung them up in the library.

In 3 or 4 grade (I'm not sure which because I was in the same double classroom for both 3rd and 4th grade), I got to be Clara in our class's version of the nutcracker.

When I was ten or so, my family went on a trip to San Diego and one of the attractions we visited was the San Diego zoo.  Somehow I ended up watching a show about snakes.  The lady doing the show asked for a volunteer to hold the boa constrictor and I was chosen.  I help the snake while she talked about it.  I remember it squeezing my arm tighter and tighter.  When she finally stopped talking and tried to unwrap the snake, it was VERY hard to do.  I guess the snake was trying to strangle my arm to death.  It hurt for hours.  I also remember having a hard time finding my family after the snake show.

In 8th grade, I got to be Alma Pumpernickle, the heroine of the melodrama that our drama class produced.
Some time in junior high I went to a fashion thingy that I think was put on by JCPenny.  Anyway, they asked for volunteers and I got chosen to model one of the outfits.  As I recall, I wore dark green corduroy pants and they put my hair in a french braid around my head.
At youth conference in Utah, we went to a workshop on make up and grooming which I believe was done by Barbara Barrington Jones.  Anyway, she singled me out to show the girls how make up should be done.
In high school I was the Baush and Lomb medalist.  I still have the medal.
I also graduated seventh in my graduation class of 600.
That's it.  Those are my claims to fame.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! You are very cool. I wish I had known sooner how cool you really are. I mean, I knew you were cool, but I didn't know you were this cool. I feel honored to be associated with you. I guess that's my claim to fame now :).

    This was a really fun post!

    ReplyDelete