Sunday, April 3, 2011

Conference Weekend


This is conference weekend--the time where latter-day saints gather in their homes to listen to God's prophet and apostles speak. Yesterday was a wonderful conference Saturday.    It began at 8:30 am when we went to a stake center nearby to hear Miriam and Katrina sing in a choir  at a pre-conference morningside.    The songs they sang were so beautiful!  They sang “My Shepherd will Supply My Need,” “Shall the Youth of Zion Falter,” “Carried by Love,” and other beautiful hymns.   After eating muffins, we went home to listen to conference.  Outside it was 75 degrees and ridiculously windy;  Inside we gathered and listened to prophets of God.   The messages of service is especially stirred my soul.

     My interest is particulary timely since it is the 75th anniversary of the church’s welfare program this year.  No wonder there were so many talks on service at Conference.  I am resolved to do a better job at mourning with those who mourn and comforting with those who stand in need of comfort.

Yesterday after the second session, we cleaned the house up for Sunday and also got the boys something to eat.  At 6:00 they and Brian went t to the stake center to watch the Priesthood session of general conference.  The girls and I bought ourselves a fun meal and enjoyed eating it and watching “Anastasia.”  When the guys got home, we all had sherbet floats.   It was a nice day.

Today, we woke up to snow.  No kidding!  They say it always rains or snows on conference Sunday.  Maybe that’s Heavenly Father’s way of encouraging us to stay home and watch conference!  Even if it had been sunny, home for conference is where we’d want to be.  The girls made muffins for breakfast which we enjoyed eating together as we began conference.  For me, I especially liked Elder Eyring and Elder Burton’s talks on service.  Brian found Richard G. Scott’s message on marriage and family to be the most memorable,  and my kids enjoyed the talk on repentance by C. Scott Grow.   We all loved President Uchtdorf  and President Monson’s talks on the Savior.  Thus ended 8 hours of a wonderful general conference--4 hours on Saturday and 4 hours today, plus 2 more hours for the men.


On Friday I got to substitute teach seminary.  The teacher asked me to give a lesson on preparing for General Conference.  I took my lesson from Elder Holland’s talk, “And there were Prophets in the Land Again.”  I love that title!  In the talk, he highlights three things that general conference declares to the world.   These three things are 1)  That there are prophets on the earth today, 2) That we are called to action, and most importantly, 3)  that Jesus is the Christ.  We talked about these three things in class.  The students were wonderful, and teaching about conference, along with praying for the Holy Ghost to be with me and my family during conference, helped prepare me for conference.



Also on Friday, Brian and I went out, on a date, of course.  We ate at a barbecue place and walked from the laundry to down town and back.  It was so nice.  We got home and to bed early so that we could be bright eyed and bushy-tailed for conference.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really fun weekend...I can't believe it snowed!
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasant weekend!

    ReplyDelete