Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 27--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,
 Hi, How are you?  Thank you for your last letter.  It was nice to email back and forth a bit, too.  I always pray for you, but this week I have really been praying for you and your companion and your investigators.  I’m sorry that your hard work hasn’t reaped the blessings for your investigators yet that you would like them to have, but I know that Heavenly Father will consecrate your efforts for your good and theirs.  You are doing a wonderful job!

Monday we had the interesting experience of driving all the way to a little mining town far away from anything else, to look at houses.  Though it took only 35 minutes to get there, it seemed like forever.  Dad wanted to look at a little house there that was for sale for only $45,000.  He thought it might be a good investment to buy it and rent it out, hoping that the little town will become a big booming town someday.  It was a nice drive and made for a nice evening, but we are not planning to buy any property there any time soon as far as we know, ha ha.  When we got home, Miriam was back from Washington DC and we enjoyed hearing all about her trip.

Tuesday we had the wonderful experience of seeing Donny sealed to Brett and Emily for time and all eternity in the temple.  It was a real privilege for Dad and me to be there, and the spirit was very strong.  Donny looked so happy!  When I hugged him afterwards, I told him that this was only his first time at the temple and to be sure to return there again as a missionary and throughout his life.   It was also the first time that we got to see Becky and Jim since their engagement, so it was also nice to see and congratulate them.

While we were at the temple, Miram, Katrina, and Thomas watched the rest of Brett and Emily’s kids.  After the sealing, we all went out to eat, which was awesome because then the kids who weren’t at the sealing could participate in the celebration of it, at least.  Jonathan had to work, but got off in time to join us at the restaurant.  It was nice to have him there, and he got to meet Jim for the first time.  Jim is a really great guy, Matt, and I am so glad Becky has found such a good man to marry.  It was a wonderful, wonderful evening.

One thing I feel bad about, though, is that Don paid for our familys’ meal.  Brett had chosen an expensive place to eat at, and I mentioned the price because I was hoping that maybe we could find someplace cheaper, but I told Renee that if we did go there, it was fine, and that any cost was worth getting together as a family after such a wonderful experience.  So, anyway, Don offered to pay, and Dad took him up on it and I learned to keep my big mouth shut.  It was so nice of Don and Renee to do that.

Wednesday the kids went to young men and young women groups and Dad and I stayed home and watched TV.  Then I went to bed early, which was wonderful because I really needed the sleep.  Thursday Thomas interviewed at the water park and he has a job as a cook for the summer.  He applied for a supervisor position, but they ignored that and hired him on as a cook.  He’s fine with that.  After the interview he and I got food and met Dad at the laundry and ate there.  Katrina went to see the play, “The Hobbit,” put on by the children’s theater, with her friend Ashton.  I think she had a fun time.

Friday night Dad and I went out to eat and then we went home.  We watched a good movie about the civil rights movement called “The Long Walk Home.”  Thomas was at Jonathan’s house barbequing in the rain. He said they had a lot of fun and that the burgers they made were incredibly delicious.  Speaking of food, Matt, are you paying attention to how to cook the food you love?  There are many little Latino food stores around here that sell Mexican brand foods, so pay attention to the brands and ingredients that you need to make the food you like, okay?  BTW, I just looked at your account, and it looks like it is almost empty, so I put $100 in there.  Let me know if you need anything else.

Saturday was cold and rainy.  In the afternoon, Katrina, Dad, and I went to a youth camp leader planning activity.  The activity was supposed to be seven hours long up a nearby canyon which is why they asked Dad, as a priesthood holder to come along.  Anyway, with the bad weather, we ended up doing a few activities up the canyon, then, after making s’mores, we went back to the church and ate dinner and finished our planning activity there. After dropping us off at the church, Dad went on to work some more at the laundry.  It was a good activity.  The girls are amazing and planned lots of fun and inspiring activities to help the younger girls come unto Christ.  The activity ended sooner than was expected and Katrina and I were home by nine.  At home, we found Miriam and Thomas watching the last half of Batman Returns, so Dad, who had just gotten home, Katrina, and I joined them.  It was nice to have us all five together.  It doesn’t happen very often anymore.

Today has been a wonderful Sabbath day, Matt.  Yesterday I fasted to have more love in my heart, and today I really tried to care about others and I prayed a lot for help.  It was wonderful to visit with and enjoy so many people at church today, and I really loved the lessons.  The lesson in Relief Society today was on Motherhood.  I have been thinking and reading about the doctrine of motherhood lately, and have tried to cultivate the divine nature of love and compassion within me, which is why I fasted yesterday, so the lesson is just what I needed.

As you may or may not have realized, Matt, today is Cassandra’s birthday.  We already sent her a present, but we also have a madlibs for her, and we are going to Skype with her later and read it to her.  She is 26 today.  I have been able to talk to her and Lily a couple of times this week which has been so nice.  She only has eight days till her due date.  Pretty exciting, huh?  Before we know it, they will have a little baby boy.  Wow, is Lily going to be surprised!  I also have more meetings tonight, but I’ll be done by 7:00, and I’m very happy about that.  We took pictures of all the young women in the stake and I am in the process of making flash cards for them so we can learn their names better.

 I have seen Jon this week at Costco, and he seems to be doing quite well. I pray for him and all of you kids all of the time, and I know Heavenly Father hears my prayers because He showers blessings down on my children.  I love you, Matthew, and I hope that you and your companion are successful and focusing on serving Christ and not worrying if you have impressive results or not—He sees your work and knows your heart and loves you dearly.  So do I!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment