Sunday, March 2, 2014

Feb 23--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,

Hi!  Thanks for the letter you wrote last week.  I’m sorry that some sad things happened, and I hope that Guillermo isn’t doing drugs after all, Lizeth is able to get married, and that Elder Sullivan will soon restored to his previously awesome state.  I am so glad that Grandpa and Grandma sent you another package.  That really warms my heart.  I am also glad that you liked your Valentine.  Do they celebrate Valentine’s Day in Mexico?

Thank you for the picture of your zone.  I couldn’t pull it up on my phone earlier, but now I can see it because I’m on my little notebook, and may I say that you are all a very handsome group, especially the elder on the upper right!

I sure am glad that good things happened this week and not just sad ones.  I am so glad that your are testifying of the truthfulness of the atonement to your investigators, although I think that the message of the atonement and the restoration go hand in hand.  It’s awesome that you are learning so much!

Well, I don’t know if it is helping the missionaries, but I did invite my visiting teaching sister to go see a museum exhibit of sacred paintings.  We didn’t end up going, but I think inviting her was a good thing.

Francisco sounds like a nice guy and I’m glad that you had a good conversation, even if the only ones who were helped were you and your companion.  It sounds like meeting him was a blessing.
Thanks for sharing with me your question about Amulek’s conversion.  It is a good one and I hope I will remember to study it when I get to Alma 11.  I am still in first Nephi, so it will be a long time to remember!  I hope that you can teach Benjamin’s wife and the rest of his family and that they will be baptized.  Nick said that in Columbia there will be tons of baptisms, but the attendance at church doesn’t increase all that much.  Is that how it is where you are?  I hope not.

Wow, Matt, I always think that I’m going to remember everything that happens in the week, but when I sit down to write I realize that I’ve forgotten most of it.  One thing that I did this week was to try very hard remember Jesus Christ and do what he would have me do.  I taught the kids, invited a friend to an art exhibit, indexed records on Family Search, talked to loved ones on the phone, studied, shared memories,  etc.  The Lord made much more of my week than I ever could have.

As I told you in my last letter, we had Monday off.  Here is some of what I wrote about Monday in my study journal:

02 18 2014

"Thomas and Katrina went with us on an outing to the temple visitor’s center where we watched videos about prophets and saw the Christus.  As I gazed at that beautiful statue, I marveled at its perfection.  The folds and curves of Christ’s garment look as if the marble were draped about Him instead of carved from a massive piece of rock.  His form seemed soft and real instead of cold stone.  I contemplated Christ’s perfection and felt the comfort and peace in Christ.

Displaying IMG_20140217_131349_302.jpg
Queene Katrine

We also visited Brian’s aging aunt, and I visited my co-worker and friend in the hospital.  Later, I was able to talk to my sweet neighbor and visiting teaching sister to further our plans to attend a museum exhibit.  It was a wonderful day, made better through the grace and guidance of God."

Displaying IMG_20140214_150516_366.jpg
A Valentine for Dad

I’m glad I wrote that down, Matt, because my memories fade so quickly!  On Tuesday I grocery shopped and we had soup with left over spaghetti squash and roasted red peppers in it.  I’m not so sure it was the best soup in all the world, but it used up leftovers…kind of.  I hate it when I make a dish with leftovers and then there are leftovers of the dish I made!  If I’m not careful, it can go on and on forever.  The next night I made barbeque chicken salad to go with the leftover soup, and luckily the rest of the soup got eaten so I didn’t have to make something with the leftover soup made from the leftover vegetables, ha ha.

Displaying IMG_20140120_191349_838.jpg
Thomas would not make a normal face, so he deserves this picture.

Katrina got her driver’s license on Wednesday.  She’ll probably write to you about it.  It’s kind of scary to let her drive the van.  Ususally we’ve had a kid car for the kids to drive, but Miriam drives the kid car to work everyday, so if Katrina wants to drive, she takes the van.  On Thursday she drove herself to voice lessons which was nice for me although, like I said, I was a bit nervous.  I’m sure thankful for prayer.

Displaying IMG_20140125_170327_859.jpg
King Dad

I also got to talk to Lily on the phone sometime last week; I can't remember which day.  She is talking really good these days, and it is so wonderful to be able to have little conversations with her.  Emerson also posted a video of her singing "Protocolligorically Correct."  It was the cutest!

Wow, Matt, I need to at least take notes as I go along because I really can’t remember much of went on last week.  Happily, I had no church meetings, though, but I am making up for it today.  I was in meetings from 9-2 and will be having more meetings from 4:30 to 9:00.  This should be the last week of so many meetings, because ward conferences are over, now.  Hooray!

Nick is home from his mission and talked in church today.  He said that God lets us be born free and then gives us commandments to keep us free.  He also said that he hopes the we can have faith stronger than the cords of death.  He talked a lot about the atonement, and his talk was very good.  He didn’t share any experiences from his mission, though, so that was sad.

Work has been good.  I have a student who wants to graduate with his graduating class but doesn’t have enough credits, so I am working with him to help him get Earth Science credit.  We have a special needs earth science textbook, and I take lessons from that.  I brought in a globe and an atlas to help him learn about maps, and I made cards with pictures and simple words for him to match together.  This helps him remember what he learned.  Friday he took his first “test.”  We went to the teacher and he showed her how his cards matched together to explain different earth science fields and different map symbols.  He did a great job, and the teacher was impressed, so that is nice.

Dad and I went to the temple Friday, and we took Katrina and Thomas with us.  They did baptisms while we did sealings.  It was a wonderful experience.  Afterward, we took the kids to eat in the temple cafeteria.  After we dropped them off at home, Dad and I went out for awhile and then came back to watch a movie and eat….ice cream.  Saturday I got to see Jon at Costco, help Thomas do some indexing, and watch a movie with the kids.  That night we read a conference talk and 2 Nephi chapter 12.  It was a nice day.

Well, Matt, I know it’s short, but I also know you need to take some time to do some scholarship stuff, so I guess it will be good enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment